Part 4: Sunday

Sunday morning started with another argument about breakfast.  But, since I could show that nothing had eaten any of his fake pop-tart the day before, the argument didn’t last for long.

Our fight director was very disappointed to see that the coffee people from the day before had opted to pack up and leave, so she couldn’t get the coffee she had wanted.

That left very few folks in the east half of the faire.  There was another fight group that did an OK show, but they only knew the one show.  So, every show they did was the same thing.  It got boring fairly quickly.

A few more folks showed up for day 2, but still only about 100 all day long.  Just as a reference Doctor Neo had told us to expect thousands.  If he had been right, I don’t know how he could have fit them.  The grounds could maybe hold 500 max.

About noon I was summoned by this flunky again.  Again, I walked the 20 feet to where he was to see what he wanted.

“There are some kids who didn’t like the show,” he told me.  “They wanted their money back, and I told them no refunds.  So, they’re out in front of the gate now protesting and stopping folks from coming in.”

“OK.  Maybe that’s why there aren’t many folks here today.  Thanks for letting me know.”

“I didn’t call you here to tell you about them, I want you to go take your swords and run them off.”


“Get your sword fighters, go out front and make sure those kids don’t cause us any other trouble!”


“What?  Why not?”

“You hired us to perform, not to be your security or to get revenge for you.  If you want us to go out there and do a show for them, so maybe they think it was a better value, then we can do that.  But, we’re not running them off for you.”

“This is why you were hired!”

“No.  We were hired to entertain your patrons.”

“You’ve got to do this for the faire!”

“No.  I don’t.”

I went back to our tent.  A short while later there was a commotion near the front gate.  I went over to look and there was a police car, the kids and Dr. Neo’s flunkies.

“What’s going on?” one of the vendors asked me as I stood there looking through the woods at it.

“The police seem to be arresting Doctor Neo’s flunky,” I said.  “My guess would be for assault.”

“The police are here?”

“Yeah, they’re out front now.”

“Are they going to come in?”

“I’d assume they will want to talk with Doctor Neo about sending a flunky to attack protesters.”

The guy turned and ran back to the trailer he was working from and began packing things up.

“Police are here!” he shouted to his companion.  “We got to get out of here before they see us!”

The companion also began packing up quickly.

After a bit, the police car drove onto site and parked near Doctor Neo’s tent.

This other guy, hooked up his car and drove out the main entrance while the police were walking into Doctor Neo’s tent.

Several members of the other fight group walked past our fight area to the camp grounds, and their cars made their way out of the faire by the back road.

The conversation between Doctor Neo and the police got quite heated.  The upshot from what I could make out listening through the trees was that they felt the kids had a right to protest the faire if they didn’t like it and had been on public property, so he had to let them do it.

I don’t know if the flunky got arrested or not, but I didn’t see him again.

As the faire was now devoid of 1/3 of it’s entertainment, we were moved onto the main stage for our final show, which was just before closing.

The afternoon had turned very cloudy and it certainly felt like rain.  When we took the stage, we could see very dark clouds in the direction they weather came from building up.

We started our show with me and A doing one of our sword fights.  As we got to the second half, J suddenly stood up in the back and shouted:

“STOP! YOUR BEING UNSAFE!”  she shouted at us.

We stopped and looked around, assuming someone from the audience had gotten too close, or there was some safety hazard we had missed.

“A isn’t wearing his gloves!” she then shouted, pointing across the audience at A.

“These swords have a hand guard!” he shouted back at her.  “And, I hate gloves!”

“J sit down.  You’ve informed us and if A wishes to continue, that is her personal decision.”

We continued.  The show went well enough considering the audience was almost all our members and members of the one remaining performance group there.

As we continued, I could hear the thunder getting closer and closer.

“Thank you all, have a good night!” I said at the end and there was a huge clap of thunder and the rain began to pour down with great intensity.

The intensity of the rain was so great that when it hit the ground it bounced back up to our knees.

We got the swords out of the rain as quickly as we could and then looked to our tents.  My tent was small and designed to be collapsed.  But, so much water had built up in it, I couldn’t get it to close.

I tried several ways, and ended up breaking a strut, so just threw it in the dumpster at the skeet range.